...auf der Suche nach der kleinsten und schlanksten DE der Welt..:

Smalltalk
muenster

Re: ...auf der Suche nach der kleinsten und schlanksten DE der Welt..:

Beitrag von muenster » 26.02.2024 20:41:00

hi und guten Abend Delfin,

vielen Dank für Deine Rückmeldung. ja Damn Small Linux ist wieder retour.

Damn Small Linux
Damn Small Linux [ˈdæm ˌsmɔːl ˈlɪnʊks] (DSL [ˌdiː ɛs ˈɛl],deutschverdammt kleines Linux) ist eine englischsprachige Linux-Distribution, die sich von einer Visitenkarten-CD (50 MB) starten lässt. Das Damn-Small-Linux-Projekt wurde von John Andrews und Robert Shingledecker ins Leben gerufen und basierte ursprünglich auf Knoppix. Heute basiert Damn Small Linux auf Debian GNU/Linux. Kurzzeitig geriet die Entwicklung ins Stocken, da sich der E
Nach Jahren der Pause ist das Projekt jetzt wieder retour. :D

https://www.damnsmalllinux.org

Why make a new DSL after all these years?

Creating the original DSL, a versatile 50MB distribution, was a lot of fun and one of the things I am most proud of as a personal accomplishment. However, as a concept, it was in the right place at the right time, and the computer industry has changed a lot since then. While it would be possible to make a bootable Xwindows 50MB distribution today, it would be missing many drivers and have only a handful of very rudimentary applications. People would find such a distribution a fun toy or something to build upon, but it would not be usable for the average computer user out of the gate.
Meanwhile, in 2024, nearly everyone has abandoned the sub-700MB size limit to run on computers old enough to not have a DVD and cannot boot off of a USB drive. This is completely understandable because applications, the kernel, and drivers have all mushroomed in their space requirements. Hats off to Puppy Linux for staying one of the few that still offer a full desktop environment in a small size.
The new goal of DSL is to pack as much usable desktop distribution into an image small enough to fit on a single CD, or a hard limit of 700MB. This project is meant to service older computers and have them continue to be useful far into the future. Such a notion sits well with my values. I think of this project as my way of keeping otherwise usable hardware out of landfills.
As with most things in the GNU/Linux community, this project continues to stand on the shoulders of giants. I am just one guy without a CS degree, so for now, this project is based on antiX 23 i386. AntiX is a fantastic distribution that I think shares much of the same spirit as the original DSL project. AntiX shares pedigree with MEPIS and also leans heavily on the geniuses at Debian. So, this project stands on the shoulders of giants. In other words, DSL 2024 is a humble little project!
Though it may seem comparably ridiculous that 700MB is small in 2024 when DSL was 50MB in 2002, I’ve done a lot of hunting to find small footprint applications, and I had to do some tricks to get a workable desktop into the 700MB limit. To get the size down, the ISO only has en_US, en_BG, en_CA, and en_AU locales enabled, and I had to strip the source codes, many man pages, and documentation out. I do provide a download script that will restore all the missing files, and so far, it seems to be working well.
Unlike the original DSL, this version has apt fully enabled. So if there is anything you feel is missing, it is very simple to get it installed. I also made an effort to leave as much of the antiX goodness enabled as possible. However, it must be said that DSL is a derivative work but also a reductive work. Some things from antiX may be broken or missing. If you find a bug, it is likely my fault.
https://www.damnsmalllinux.org

viele Grüße
Münster
:)

Delfin

Beitrag von Delfin » 28.02.2024 16:54:54

Moin Moin,
Ich habe einmal dsl als Live-System gebootet.
Damn Small Linux (verdammt kleines Linux) ist zwar nicht mehr vergleichbar mit der damaligen Versionsgröße, aber immerhin für "Uraltrechner" z.B. 32 Bit, ist es imho ein feines System.
Es bringt alles mit was benötigt wird, um loslegen zu können.

Zugegeben es ist "gewöhnungsbedürftig", aber für ein Live-System, auch schon beim Start, sehr anpassungsfähig.
Was mich irritierte, die Terminalausgabe von

Code: Alles auswählen

lsb_release -a
zeigt debian bookworm. Ich habe bisher keinen Hinweis auf Debian 12 in der englischen Beschreibung gelesen?
Ein Blick in das System lohnt sich aber m.E. gerade für Rechner, die sonst entsorgt werden sollten / müssten.
Nachtrag: Nach apt update (bietet das LiveSystem an) werden Aktualisierungen aus => bookworm = Debian 12 heruntergeladen.
Also: dsl 2024 setzt auf Debian 12.

Gruß

Delfin

Beitrag von Delfin » 28.02.2024 22:08:33

Moin Moin,
nachdem ich das Live-System nutze, stelle ich fest:
DSL baut auf Debian Bookworm.
Stellt sich die Frage, warum ist nichts in den Hinweisen zu sehen?
Gruß

mampfi
Lizenz eigener Beiträge: GNU General Public License

Beitrag von mampfi » 28.02.2024 23:26:29

Ich auf Testrechnern alle möglichen Oberflächen ausprobiert, meine knowhow-txt-Datei gabs damals noch nicht, ich probiers aus dem Gedächtnis.

Es steht zwar nicht in der Auswahl von Deinem System, es gab aber meiner Erinnerung ein System namens lvwm.

Wobei: Das damn small system ist dann wohl leichtgewichtiger
Es gibt viele Foren

muenster

Beitrag von muenster » 29.02.2024 01:17:04

Servus Delfin, hallo 'Mampfli :D

vielen dank für Eure Rückmeldung u. das Teilen Eurer Erfahrungen. Ich denk dass ich DSL wirklich auch mal testen sollte. Die Entwickler haben echt viel viel Zeit und Energie in das 24er DSL reingesteckt.

Viele Grüße
Münster :D

Antworten